New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Monday, February 27, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

The Camps

The Camps


The camps have been described as typical New Orleans
shotgun houses, built on pilings instead of on brick piers, surrounded by
galleries (porches)
. Shotguns in the city were built in the second half of
the 19th century and until 1910. Notice how similar the picture of the camp
(below) is to the Victorian shotgun house beneath it. This camp once had
galleries (porches) which were destroyed by Hurricane Georges.

A typical camp with porches destroyed by Hurricane Georges.

Photo below shows camps with porches (galleries).



Bargeboard Camps

'Camp-A-Nella's'--one of the 6 remaining Hayne Boulevard
camps was built in 1925 using bargeboard construction. Look again at the first
camp pictured on this page and you will see bargeboards (vertical boards) where the siding has been torn away.

 

Here's an example (from New Olreans Preservation in Print) of how this was done:

'In autumn 1856, David Williams built a flatboat on the banks of the Kentucky River...loaded the flatboat with nearly 100 tons of cargo- wheat, tobacco, whiskey, and twelve bluegrass mules...After a five-week trip...on the Kentucky, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers, Williams landed at the Carrollton Bend above New Orleans.

In two days Williams had sold not only all his cargo but also the boat itself.

Lumber merchant J.S. MacEwen of Carrollton sent his workers...to dismantle the flatboat with crowbars and saws. Seven months after Williams had landed at Carrollton, Claude Perriliat purchased a load of lumber from MacEwen to build a cottage...Walls, joists, rafters, almost the entire house, were made out of lumber from Williams' flatboat; it was a 'bargeboard' house.'
Source:  Preservation Resource Center--Preservation in Print