New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Monday, March 27, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

1820s

 
Alligator Pond at Spanish Fort...
 


Alligator Pond at Spanish Fort

1820s ? - Alligator Pond Very Interesing, but unfortunately, gone! Source: New Orleans Public Library--Images of the Month http://www.nutiras.org/~nopl/monthly/mar99/mar9913.htm

Alligator Pond at Spanish Fort

1820s - 1920s - Concert Hall & Garden at Spanish Fort

A postcard of Spanish Fort. At the rear of this print is the Spanish Fort pavilion, the site of band concerts and lectures. First built in the 1820s, Spanish fort came into its own in the 1870s and early 1880s, when the reconstruction of the old Pontchartrain Hotel and the addition of the pavilion, a casino, a theater, restaurants, gardens, bathing piers--and a railroad line connected to downtown New Orleans--drew thousands of people to the resort. Source: New Orleans Public Library--Images of the Month http://nutrias.org/~nopl/monthly/mar99/mar9912.htm

1820s - 1920s - Concert Hall & Garden at Spanish Fort

1823 The no longer active Spanish Fort is sold to become a resort area

In 1823, by a special act of Congress, Harvey Elkins purchased the Spanish Fort site. Within two years, Elkins had built a hotel on the site, thus beginning Spanish Fort’s century-long reputation as a popular resort. Ownership soon passed from Elkins to John Slidell; later, the New Orleans City and Lake Railroad would own the site before selling it, in 1877, to Moses Schwartz. It was Schwartz who first developed the amusement park that operated at Spanish Fort until the late 1920s. New Orleans Public Service would own the property before, in 1937, turning it over to the Orleans Parish Levee Board. Source: New Orleans Magazine-Julia Street: Questions and Answers about New Orleans March 2000 - Vol. 34 - Issue 6 - Page - #346 http://publications.neworleans.com/no_magazine/34.6.-JuliaStreet.html

1823 The no longer active Spanish Fort is sold to become a resort area

1828 - Plan for canal to connect the River to the Lake

Source: http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/maps/louisiana/citymap/neworleanscanal1828.jpg

1828 - Plan for canal to connect the River to the Lake