New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Thursday, March 30, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

Restaurants

1859 -- 2005


1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg

This photo was probably taken in late summer 1914. In the photo (left to right) are Gennaro "John" Quarrella, his wife Marie Bonano, Gennaro's brother Joseph Quarrella, and Mr. Conti, the bartender at the Midway. Notice the "Ladies Entrance" sign--something not seen in many years.

Images and text about Quarrella's Midway Restaurant & Saloon courtesy of the Descendants of Gennaro "John" Quarrella and Marie Bonano.

1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg

1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg #2

John Quarrella's business card reads:
"Eat at the Midway Restaurant & Saloon"
Milneburg, (On the Pier)
Open Day And Night
DANCING AND ENTERTAINING EVERY DAY AND NIGHT
MIDWAY FAMILY BATH HOUSE
Regular Bathing Costumes for Ladies
Gentlemen and Children.
ALSO CAMPS TO RENT
All Trains Stop at the Door
Phone Hem. 2071 J. QUARRELLA, Prop.

1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg #2

1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg #3

Back of John Quarrella's business card shows the:
Pontchartrain Railroad Time Table
In Effect May 25, 1914
Scedules for Leaving Pontchartrain Junction and Milneburg beginning at 5:30 each morning and ending at 11:00 (?)
A 1895 U.S. Atlas lists Ponchartrain (sic) Junction as a town in Orleans Parish. P.M.http://www.livgenmi.com/atlap.htm

1914 - John Quarrella's Midway Restaurant at Milneburg #3

Tranchina's West End Hotel Restaurant

Postcard, date unknown. "Tranchina's West End Hotel Restaurant, LA." Many early Jazz greats have been documented to have played at Tranchina's.

Tranchina's West End Hotel Restaurant

1859 - Brunings at Bucktown-West End

One of the oldest restuarants in the country, Brunings opened in 1859. Although not in the same original building it has existed under the management of the same family since before the Civil War. Heavily damaged in the 1998 Hurricane Georges, it moved to an adjacent building and remains open today. Photo credit: http://www.virtualtravels.com/diary/neworleans/norestaurants/brunings.html

1859 - Brunings at Bucktown-West End

1950s Fitzgerald's Menu Cover (full view)

1950s Fitzgerald's Menu Cover (full view)

1950s Fitzgerald's Menu

Check out the prices! Fitzgerald's was located at West End and was under operation until destroyed by Hurricane Georges in 1998.

1950s Fitzgerald's Menu