New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Sunday, June 25, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

The 1940s


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By the 1940s, only the Hayne Boulvard and Little Woods camps remained. Of these only 6 still exist. The construction of Lincoln Beach resulted in the loss of many camps.

Photo: 5/29/1941
Lincoln Beach and recreation park between the New Orleans Airport and Little Woods under construction by WPA. Camps are right of center in the distance.
Source: http://nutrias.org/photos/wpa/wpa24.htm


A camp owned by former New Orleans Mayor Robert Maestri is among the five camps still standing along Hayne.
Times-Picayune, 10/21/99





Mama Lou's, Carlson's, and The Ruby were among the many popular combination pier/ dance hall/restaurant camps during the 40's & 50's. See other links for more information about the blues great Richard 'Rabbit' Brown's performances at Mama Lou's.

From the early 1800's through the 50's the sounds of jazz and blues greats could be heard from the camps.