New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Friday, March 24, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

St. Charles


211 St. Charles Avenue - Now First NBC Center (formerly the Place St. Charles)

Photo credit: http://www.berrylaw.com/construction.html

211 St. Charles Avenue - Now First NBC Center (formerly the Place St. Charles)

211 St. Charles Avenue - Then The St. Charles Hotel

This is the third St. Charles Hotel, two earlier equally sumptuous structures of that name having burned to the ground at that same address.

211 St. Charles Avenue - Then The St. Charles Hotel

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Now the K & B Plaza

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Now the K & B Plaza

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Then THE MAIN LIBRARY

Located at 1031 St. Charles Avenue at Lee Circle, where the car barns of the New Orleans and Carrollton Steam Railroad once stood, this beautiful building was erected in 1908 by Diboll and Owen, New Orleans architects. By 1952 the building had become out-dated and plans were drawn up for the construction of the present-day main library in the Civic Center. The new building was completed in 1958 at a cost of $3,000,000. In a matter of days 300,000 books were transported across town to their new home, and the old structure was razed to make way for the erection of the new K&B building. In this 1928 photograph four vintage automobiles are lined up at the curb while their owners are inside the library, improving their minds. The building's architecture was considered to be of the Renaissance order, with certain features copied from the Roman temple, Mars Ultor. Gray Bedford stone was chiefly used in the construction. At the entrance portico the four Corithian columns were 32 feet tall. The New Orleans Public Library system is an outgrowth of various library societies formed in New Orleans in the 19th century. Successive library consolidations and generous donations from Andrew Carnegie and the heirs of Simon Hernsheim have contributed to the growth of the institution. Collection of Frank Gordon & Son New Orleans, Louisiana USA Source: Bergeron Studio at http://www.bergeronstudio.com/fg01/p69.html

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Then THE MAIN LIBRARY

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Then THE MAIN LIBRARY

Located at 1031 St. Charles Avenue at Lee Circle, where the car barns of the New Orleans and Carrollton Steam Railroad once stood, this beautiful building was erected in 1908 by Diboll and Owen, New Orleans architects. By 1952 the building had become out-dated and plans were drawn up for the construction of the present-day main library in the Civic Center. The new building was completed in 1958 at a cost of $3,000,000. In a matter of days 300,000 books were transported across town to their new home, and the old structure was razed to make way for the erection of the new K&B building. In this 1928 photograph four vintage automobiles are lined up at the curb while their owners are inside the library, improving their minds. The building's architecture was considered to be of the Renaissance order, with certain features copied from the Roman temple, Mars Ultor. Gray Bedford stone was chiefly used in the construction. At the entrance portico the four Corithian columns were 32 feet tall. The New Orleans Public Library system is an outgrowth of various library societies formed in New Orleans in the 19th century. Successive library consolidations and generous donations from Andrew Carnegie and the heirs of Simon Hernsheim have contributed to the growth of the institution. Collection of Frank Gordon & Son New Orleans, Louisiana USA Source: Bergeron Studio at http://www.bergeronstudio.com/fg01/p69.html

1031 St. Charles Avenue - Then THE MAIN LIBRARY