New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Friday, October 20, 2017
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

1832 to present, Milneburg Light (also known as the Port Pontchartrain Light)

Located near Elysian Fields Avenue and the lake.

The PORT PONTCHARTRAIN LIGHT (also called the Milneburg Lighthouse) was built in 1832, then replaced
with the existing structure in 1855. It shined until 1929. It was a memorable landmark in Milneburg when
the area was thriving with entertainment of all sorts
. Later the area around the lighthouse became the
Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park--which old timers refered to as 'Milenburg'. Now the lighthouse is
part of the University of New Orleans Technology Center.

Source: National Maritime Initiative Inventory of Historic Light Stations


1858 Harper's Magazine Illustration 'WINTER IN THE SOUTH' - Article from HARPER?S NEW MONTLY MAGAZINE, December 1858.
Woodcut engraving 'The Light-House-Lake Pontchartrain'.

1890

date unknown

 

1908

1913


9/29/1926--shows round piling and outboard waling
before driving of sheet piling on the lakefront [at the Milneburgh lighthouse].
See below this same view in 1941.
Source: href="http://nutrias.org/photos/wpa/wpa24.htm">http://nutrias.org/photos/wpa/wpa24.htm


 


The after view shows the same area, now the site
of the new amusement park.
Source: href="http://nutrias.org/photos/wpa/wpa24.htm">http://nutrias.org/photos/wpa/wpa24.htm


 

circa 1998



Port Pontchartrain Light
A.K.A. The Milneburg Light

Status:
REMAINS

The PORT PONTCHARTRAIN LIGHT (also called the Milneburg Lighthouse) was built in 1832, then replaced with the existing structure in 1855. It shined until 1929.

It was a memorable landmark in Milneburg when the area was thriving with entertainment of all sorts.

Later the area around the lighthouse became the Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park--which old timers refered to as "Milenburg".

Now the lighthouse is part of the University of New Orleans Technology Center.

Source: National Maritime Initiative Inventory of Historic Light Stations
http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/portpont.htm





The Port Pontchartrain Lighthouse, originally an octagonal wood structure, was erected in 1838 near the terminus of the Pontchartrain Railroad in
the resort town of Milneburg. Rebuilt as a brick tower in 1855, the structure
was damaged during the Civil War but repaired and relighted in 1863.

In 1929, the lighthouse was deemed obsolete and was disconnected and donated to the Orleans Levee Board. Before the Levee Board filled in and extended the shoreline, the lighthouse was 3,000 feet offshore.

Our master plan for the UNO Research and Technology Park has always included preservation of this famous landmark. Located at the foot of Elysian Fields, the lighthouse serves as a visual reminder of this area's historic past.

UNO's commitment to preservation of historic landmarks extends to other cherished campus structures as well. In particular, the old brick smokestack is the last remnant of the former U.S. Naval Air Station. The smokestack serves as a wonderful reminder to our many students and alumni of their early days at UNO.

Both the smokestack and its memories will be preserved as the university prepares to build the Homer L. Hitt Alumni Center in honor of our founding chancellor. The smokestack is an integral design feature of the Alumni
Center, and we are now raising money for this project.

We welcome the interest and support of our neighbors, community and alumni in these efforts to preserve our lakefront landmarks.

Gregory M. St. L. O'Brien

Chancellor,

University of New Orleans

Source: UNO WILL PRESERVE LANDMARK LIGHTHOUSE
[THIRD Edition]
Times - Picayune
New Orleans, La.
Sept 5, 1997